We tried this a while back (with a Gentle Lady).  Things were looking up.
We had some new members join and a lot of the club members picked up a GL
and got her ready to fly.  Unfortunately we seemed to have a problem finding
a good day to organize the contest/fun fly.  We would have a couple of
people show up, or it would be too windy, seemed like everything kept
getting in our way.

We made the rules pretty simple.  Pretty much a stock Gentle Lady, with
minimal kit bashing allowed.  No spoilers (the model could have them, but
they were to be taped down for the contest) and we had a minimum and maximum
weight.  We also allowed ballast as long as it was under the max weight, as
well as changing the wing hold down to 2 cross posts rather than the
"standard" GL wing hold down.  No composites were allowed other than a small
amount of glass to reinforce the wing at the center section.  We even got
the LHS here to discount the model for club members!

I think it's a good idea, and I hope the club here decides to pick it back
up again.

Depending upon the age of the flyers I think DLG/HLG one design makes a
better entry point than a 2M or 3M for a one design contest, unfortunately
DLGs are generally more expensive and take more time to setup...but it seems
like when I fly my DLG I get a lot more people that are interested vs when I
fly something larger off a winch or high start.  It seems like there is more
interest in DLGs for younger flyers, but the skills needed to set one up and
fly it properly are a little more advanced than a Gentle Lady.

Jared