A little over 20 years ago, I wrote an airfoil plot program for the Commodore 64. I soon ported it to the Atari, TRS80, and other computers using the 6502 computer chip except for the Apple II. Apple, in it's infinite wisdom, crippled the operating system so that basic programs could not send graphics to printers without special machine language routines. I soon ported the program to MS-DOS computers and even to the original 128k Mac. The only computer that had trouble running my program was the Mac. Every month or so, Apple would issue an upgrade to the Mac operating system that required changes to my program. By 1988, I decided that I was selling enough programs to justify purchasing a real computer and evaluated everyone that I could afford. The choices boiled down to the second generation Mac, the Amiga with the MS-DOS option, and a Gateway 2000. I really didn't like the Mac that much and didn't like Apple's record of abandoning users of their earlier computers. (Applle III, Lisa, and the 128K Mac). Cost ruled out the Amiga so I wound up buying the very first Gateway 2000. I have never regretted the decision because the programs II wrote for the first Gateway will still run on my new Dell computer. I can also use most of the software I bought over the last 20 years.

Chuck Anderson