My Dad was one of very few human beings that was born in Taft "back when",
in 1927 or thereabouts. I have heard a lot of tales about living in a tent, big
 cats trying to eat his little sister, Grandpa drilling the first hole deeper
 than a mile, and of course the legendary Kern Mesa Thermals.

Dad says that he flew a lot of free flight very early in the morning. After
the sun had been up an hour he packed everything up and went home. Why? When
he  first started he tried trimming out a few free flight planes after 8 AM. He
lost  5 models one morning. He said that you could give a free flight a hand
toss to  check trim and watch the model disappear virtually every time. If
your tool  box wasn't nailed down it was probably going to be lost as well.
Absolutely  perfect conditions for XC, but devastating for a kid with a bunch
of
free flight  planes and limited budget.

XC is an acquired taste, like a triple fermented bottle conditioned ale. It
takes a lot of effort and some heartache and failure to really appreciate it
when it works right. Conditions must be right, equipment must be right, and
the  participants must be ready and have their heads in the right space to take

advantage of the event. But when all of this happens it's magic without any
equal.

As far as "how high can you get?" You can get a LOT higher than anybody
would believe. It's a Zen Thing that no instrumentation will ever capture. If
you
can see the stabs then you're not ready to get on course yet. If you think
that you need to see the airplane to fly it then think less.

happy trails - Rob G