. Does anyone have a
> reference, guide or link to information how one might go about utilizing
> these stripes as an aid? Specifically I am looking for suggested widths
> and
> placement of the stripes.

On another related note, most hunting scopes (for rifles) have graduated
lines on the cross hairs to determine distance, the line spacing is
typically
the length of an average deer (about 6' but you need the specs for the
scope).
If you buy a cheap $20 to $40  9 to 20 power scope with a 40mm objective
lens, you should be able to get a good estimate of distance based on the
wing span against the reference lines, you should be able to see the plane
much better too.
Many marine binoculars also have similar reference lines.

Mark Mech
www.aerofoam.com