I think it depends on how the phrase "Personal Achievement" is viewed.
Personally, I view it just the way I read it........  Personal Achievement

If people are truly interested in promoting rc sailplane interest, it will
have to be done at the club level and it doesn't have to have anything to do
with contests.  Let's get a little creative.  The dying soaring clubs are
not a result of LSF, they are a result of poor management and self interest.

The folks that enjoy contests are not necessarily the same folks that enjoy
fun flying, in my view we are talking two different personalities here.  And
one doesn't understand the other's view very well.

The contest type are the guys that fly much more, practice landings, spend
more money on travel and sailplanes and in general are very serious about
their Personal Soaring Achievement. Many (if not most) of the contest guys
are doing the work required to put on contests.  This group needs new blood
to continue having meaningful contests and they are the ones that will have
to come up with the ideas to promote new blood.  I believe they will have to
get serious about club management and promotion if they want contestants at
their contests.

The sport flyer is just that, doesn't fly much compared to the contest guys,
views the hobby as a hobby and when he flys,  his goal is usually to see how
long he can stay up .... doesn't need a club,  a public park or private
field will do.  This group doesn't set performance goals or have any desire
to measure their flying skills against someone else or group.

There is a third group.....  the in betweeners  ... they want recognition,
but are not located near contests, or don't do well in contests, or don't
have the money required to compete.   This is likely the group interested in
a no contest required achievement program.

The new curve (challenge) to clubs and soaring contests is the electric
powered sailplane flyer, now you have a mass interest in rc flying that
requires no club, no large field to put up a winch or hi start, no contests
( they hate contests) and they can learn all they need to know on the
internet......

So where are new people going to come from ?????

Ray Hayes
http://www.skybench.com
Home of Wood Crafters