I may be the newest LSF applicant. I signed up Sunday. I may be new to LSF but I am far from new to flying RC. I will be 64 later this month. I am a senior manager in the work place. The most important thing I have ever learned is that just because we have always done it that way is insufficient reason to keep doing it that way. You can apply it to anything including LSF.

I joined in spite of the contest requirements. I am not a competitive person and don't want to be. Some pilots are lucky and some are good. Over time, skill will rise to the top, but in any given contest, the winner can be the pilot that was up when the air was good. I don't expect to reach LV, heavens, I haven't even done LI yet. I have vision problems and I can't go 8 hours without a head stop or two. It just seems to me that there should be a way other than BEATING someone to demonstrate a skill level has been reached. This is especially true if, as many messages indicate, the numbers of sailplane pilots are decreasing. With the cost of travel what it is and is unlikely to decrease, going to six or ten contests in a year can be a burden that some folks just cannot bear. With the cost of a competitive plane, radio and associated equipment, one can sink 3 - 5000 bucks in a heartbeat. What the "We have always done it that way" attitude is causing is pricing the hobby out of the reach of newbys. There needs to be a less expensive way to gain the experience and to recognize the resultant increase in skill levels. We all have our own comments about how much we spend on our hobby. In my neck of the woods "R/C airplanes are cheaper than bass boats" As for me, I am going to go as far as I can with what I got.

Harold Jackson