For DLG contests, the Robic is awesome. I'm not sure what you mean about using multiple buttons. I just use the start and stop button during a task. After the round is over, use the memory recall button to see what the times were. Much better than the Seiko for this application and it simply cannot be any easier since you only use one button.

For TD, I use the Seiko.

Mike Robinson

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Register" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: "SALglider (Yahoo Groups)" <SALglider@yahoogroups.com>; "RCSE (Soaring Exchange)" <Soaring@airage.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 17, 2006 6:47 AM
Subject: [RCSE] Stopwatch Recommendation

Seeking a little input on stopwatch recommendations, particularly for discus but also for general TD use. I have an old Accusplit with a 10 lap/split memory and programmable target timing but the buttons are pretty shaky, even after cleaning and re-adjusting the gaps. A couple of things would be useful: - greater than 10 memory capability (30 would likely be more than sufficient),
- simple (one button) lap timing operation,
- don't really need a target time setting - that's useful but not critical,
- same button for start/stop/lap timing,
- no lap time freeze before clear.

The Seiko is a great watch but a bit pricey and is limited to 10 memory (I think). Robics (SC707 in particular) are nice but require multiple buttons for start/lap/un-freeze operations. The 15 second hold unless you find the other reset button is awkward in the heat of battle.
The Accusplit is good but - limited memory and cheap construction.
Internet purchase is fine. We don't have any decent retail outlets for stopwatches in our area anyway.

This is something I need for contest work but has to be simple enough that it can handed to a newbie and he/she can make it function with minimal hassles. I travel to away contests quite a bit and need to be able to provide more reliable guidance to folks who are kind enough to time for the visitor. Stopwatch suggestions from experienced DLG folks would be particularly valuable.

TIA for any comments,

- Dave R