Just to clarify this a bit:

- The Seiko S321 is probably the most reliable watch out there. Probably easiest to program for up/down counting. It's probably the best for TD work but won't do lap/split/memory timing which is useful for some DLG tasks,

- The Talking Timer is useful for practice and some limited contest work but is bulky and doesn't do lap/split/memory,

- The Accusplit AL620 does all of the above with 10 memories but has lousy buttons that become erratic after about a year. Gordy swaps those out for Radio Shack switches which is an improvement.

Seiko, Accusplit and Robic make many stopwatches from $20 to $200. Most of the lap/split/memory ones have a lap freeze feature that leaves the display frozen for up to 20 seconds before you see the counter working. Somewhat distracting in the heat of battle. Several of them allow you to clear the freeze but with a third button - again a distraction during a rapid turn-around DLG event.

The other requirement for this is a little different from most local timing issues. I travel a lot to discus contests. There are no other DLG guys in my area that routinely travel to contests. At most places, the local guys are already paired up for timing/flying so I need to have a fool-proof system to be able to ask folks who may not have any prior timing experience. It happens just about once every trip. If I can hand a guy a stopwatch and tell him to push the button when I launch and then again when I land and we'll sort it out at the end of the task, life is a lot less stressful for everyone. The risk is that the wrong button gets pushed and all the information is lost but that's a lot less trying than many of the alternatives.

So it comes down to:
Does anyone have operating experience with a good quality, trouble-free stopwatch that has at least 10 memories (30 or more preferred) that will do lap/split/memory timing and does not freeze the lap frame, or does so for a much shorter interval than 20 seconds (The Seikos hold for 20 seconds. The Robics for 15). Count up/down option is a bonus but not a requirement. If you had never seen this stopwatch before in your life and were handed this stopwatch a few minutes before a ladder event with a 15sec minimum time, would you be comfortable using it to time someone? Or if you had to hand it to a total stranger with unknown contest timing experience, would you be comfortable that they could reliably record your times with it for the whole 10 minute window?

I know that constrains the problem a bit but if there's a good solution it's worth a fair amount,

- Dave R

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
I agree with Brian.  I've had one for 10 years.  It's worth the money.

JE
--
Erickson Architects
John R. Erickson, AIA

I have the Seiko for over 20 years, and it is the best. Others are
just copy cats of the Seiko.

Brian
--
Brian Chan,