Are these the same guys that had an issue with what end of the chute to use
last week and needed the colored rings?

Tom

-----Original Message-----
From: Anker Berg-Sonne [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, February 01, 2008 7:32 AM
To: David Webb
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; Soaring@airage.com
Subject: Re: [RCSE] Re: Airfoil flight comparison( HN-216)?

David,

Launching without turning the transmitter on is a symptom of a greater
problem. You must build a routine that you consistently follow each and
every time you launch, otherwise you will make this and a bunch of other
mistakes.

Most of the problems occur if you let yourself be rushed, either by
external circumstances, or by a desire to join the gaggle in the monster
thermal just off the launch.

There are so many ways launches can go wrong that your proposed device
may save you from one problem, but the others will be sure to bite you
instead.

As a reformed sinner myself I speak from bitter experience.

Anker

David Webb wrote:
> Gentlemen, I would like your feedback on something I created last
> season in a bit of a whim. I have been competing at various TD tasks
> in the Northwest over the last 3 years. Over this time I have
> witnessed far too many launches where the pilot after the fact
> admitted that he/she did not turn on the aircraft. Needless to say
> most of the aircraft were lost or seriously damaged. So in search of a
> solution I went to a local electronics shop and asked a young guy if
> he could give me a hand designing a safety component that might help
> avoid this scenario.
>
> Basically we designed a switch with a small tilt sensor and some
> latching circuitry. The result is this:
>
> If you remember to turn on the plane the switch works as expected. The
> plane powers on and off as it would normally.
>
> If you turn OFF the plane and tilt the aircraft in the desired launch
> angle ( this is set by the pilot) the plane turns ITSELF on and stays
> on until the circuit is reset by disconnecting / interrupting the
> battery. The draw is tiny and the circuit and switch itself 1"x"x .25"
> or double the size of a typical 20 amp RC switch.   I have tested the
> product in the lab and i know a shop that could likely get the size
> down to half its current size or close to the size of a standard
> switch
>
> This would of course cost some money out of pocket but I am not sure
> if the target market is too limited to bother creating this solution
> for. For the most part, the elite pilots I watch either don't even use
> a switch or are very disciplined in their launch methodology. The
> target market is more appropriately general pilots who may be
> approaching the more "senior" years as well as new pilots.
>

> What do you think people? At your local club have you seen anyone toss
> an un-powered glider to its death? Would a product like this be of
> value as a replacement for the standard on off switch for your more
> senior members or new eager  soaring enthusiasts?
>

> David Webb
and "unsubscribe" requests to [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Please note that
MIME turned off.  Email sent from web based email such as Hotmail and AOL
are generally NOT in text format