The attraction is primarily for those who fly at contests or in areas
of crowded frequencies. You see if you go to a moderately sized
contest you will be forced to share a frequency pin with one or even
more of your 72 MHZ brethren. If one of them screws up and flips on
their TX ( assuming there is no TX impound) You may likely lose your
aircraft.

The last contest of the season for me is a prefect example. I am just
getting my legs in TD and F3J having only flown RC for maybe 4 years
max. I flew at every major contest for the last two years. At the last
big tournament some guy shows up with "my" frequency and we are both
forced to impound our TX's for the entire weekend checking with the
impound manager and the other pilot for the frequency pin every time I
wanted to tweak my plane, fly a round or even check the battery life
on my TX (ok I could do that with the Stylus without a signal but the
impound manager would  fill his/her pants)

So not only do I have to consider that at this contest there were
several northwest contenders in TD but I have to contend with the
potential of a shoot down if the conflict system fails. I distinctly
remember the background stress this added to the contest. I would have
been glad to simply be able to "turn on and go" For that I would be
happy to fart around with technically painful solutions.
Unfortunately, I have to buy planes for the WC and the extra 1400 for
two 2.4 systems is just not in the budget.

I also could benefit from 2.4 as I fly at relatively long distances
and my private field which is a monster hay field is right on the edge
of the frequency range of another small R/C flight field close by.
People show up, see no one else at their field and power on all the
time.... the thought crossed my mind today when I had a split second
glitch on my flaps.....

Food for thought - these are the main considerations for me. Others
might be attracted to the feature rich options that this bandwidth
offers and several new idiot proof solutions in the new TX's that stop
you from using the wrong model memory with the wrong plane etc.

All good reasons to get the solution working and lets face it. R/C
Soaring pilots are almost certainly always itching to do the
impossible. When someone says "you can't install 2.4 in a carbon fuse"
you know they are going to fire up the "collective hive" (my
appologies to Startrek) and come up with a solution. We are the high
end geeks of the R/C community after all (said with distinction I
might add)

David Webb