Not to argue but for the people new to the concept of 2.4 there are
scenarios that they may be confusing. For example, I fly a few times a year
at a club off of the Columbia river in Oregon. Blue lake park is like flying
out of a bowl picture this in your minds eye; To the right of you is the
levy or dike of the Columbia River and to your left is a park with a small
grove of trees which you must always avoid on your landing pattern. You
thread between the dyke and the tree on every approach and landing.

On several occasions I have been on the other side of these trees and had my
plane drop into heavy sink and out of my "line of sight". I have to either
run around into view or wait and see how it comes out. I have never had
anyone tell me that after dropping behind the trees that my 72 MhZ system
glitched or lost control. I can imagine that this is just one scenario that
the uninformed are concerned about.

No one is arguing the fact that if my plane drops behind a barn, mountain or
other large land mass that I have larger issue such as "what the hell was I
thinking?"  but there are a lot of other little pieces of minutia to
converse of the line of sight debate. This season I will be looking for some
2.4 setups to run back into this area and check signal.... :)