Get your favorite friend to come out wth a Spektrum RX with the a Spektrum Flight Log and get some data. It won't be perfect since the person holding the airplane may influence the results. But at least you can see if you have much of a frame loss or any holds. Something you can't do with 99% of the 72 systems, but glitch counters or failsafe settings can be used to tell if you lost signal on them.

David Webb wrote:
No one is arguing the fact that if my plane drops behind a barn, mountain or
other large land mass that I have larger issue such as "what the hell was I
thinking?"  but there are a lot of other little pieces of minutia to
converse of the line of sight debate. This season I will be looking for some
2.4 setups to run back into this area and check signal.... :)