Klaus
     What I didn't say was that serious, hard charging, full scale sailplane
competition flying comes with an elevated level of risk.  Off field landings
in totally unfamiliar terrain (most are) and flight into extreme weather
conditions (thunderstorm downburst in my case) set the stage for my fence
encounters.  I now compete with models instead.  If I fly full size, I rent
and prefer to go solo, so you are safe.

     Jerry

Ps. I'm sure you are aware of several of the top world soaring pilots who are
not with us today because of "gotchas".  It does have it's hazards, and wire
strikes and midairs are high on the list.  MacCready once told me he hung it
up after he won the Worlds because of the midair risk.  I didn't feel so bad
for having quit after  hearing him say that.