YK cang wrote jokingly (re: why don't we see more canards and flying wings):

  They could probably get as much population as those standard
configuration at first, but the pilots have difficulties in
reprograming their brain in reverse hand eye coordination in
flying the thing backwards cofused enough it fall out from the
sky. :-)

The need for stability was early appreciated, but control
with stability didn't come until the advent of the modern plane.

So before the Wrights' Flyer (which in essence was a flying wing
with a forward elevator - it wasn't a stabilsating surface, thus not
a canard, as it is defined today) we had utterly stable planes -
that flew straight ahead, no matter what happened, or what the
pilot did - he could affect the trim slightly, but any gusts usually
led to a so called controlled crash.

The Wrights showed that you need control, lots of control and not
necessarily stability. Their first flight in France was a shock to the
European (read Franch) aviators. But then some managed to combine
a moducum of stability, which the Flyer didn't have any of, with a modicum
of manouvrability and there we had the modern plane! Some were
in essence modified box kites that grew engines and controls, some
like the dainty Demoiselle was so small and petite that only a petite
pilot, like Santos-Dumont, the aircraft's designer, could fly it, and
the rest is history!

And the Wrights' aircraft grew heavy tails, in addition to the -
for the time being - retained forward elevator!

Still the quest for stability and controlabilty makes canards - and
flying wings - difficult if you also wants speed range, super efficiency
and control authority. The Burt Rutan range of canards have shown what can be
done, but his latest planes, like the Boomerang, are conventional (engines
up front, then the main wing followed by a stabilisator and fin(s)), if still
utter unconventional in looks!

===================================

Now a question: Which was the first true delta to fly (that is which was
the first jet-powered, manned, delta-winged aicraft)?

The answer given by Air International was a surprise even to me:

  Saab J-35 Draken!

Why don't we see models of that one on the slopes?

Tord,
Sweden

--
If reply difficulties - use [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Tord S. Eriksson, Ovralidsg.25:5, S-422 47 Hisings Backa, Sweden