After soaring largely on my own (or with power plane folks) for over a year now, I
finally got around to attending my first Sailplane Fly-in in Prattville, AL on
Saturday.

I got an early start for the 145 mile drive down to Prattville.  Arrived, introduced
myself and got settled. Although winches were available, I wanted to use my highstart
on the first couple of flights since I'm accustomed to it.  Did a quick range check on
the GL, everything was perfect.

Pulled the plane back on the highstart, did a last stick push to make sure the radio
was on and let her go.  A perfect launch.

Got to the top, gave a down-blip to release, and it didn't.  Hmm, I thought.  I waited
a few seconds, and she released on her own.  Right rudder, a little up-elevator, let's
start a figure-8 and go looking.

Nope.  Plane went into an inverted dive from 500 feet. Got worse with most anything I
tried.  Finally was able to get her into a shallow inverted tailwind dive and held it
here.  Hit the ground, but not terribly hard: split the fuse sides, popped the
wing-bolt blocks and crunched an outboard LE.

What happened?  Doh. A couple of night before I was setting up a new plane, and left
the Tx on the wrong model for the GL.  I ended up with reversed rudder and elevator.
Although I did a range check, I rushed and didn't do a close visual on the control
surfaces.

Still, it was a good save.  I flew all the way to the ground...

Enjoyable Fly-in, all things considered.   I just wish I hadn't bankrupted my
reputation with the folks on my first flight...

--Bill