From: "Bill Harris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, June 14, 2000 08:04 AM
Subject: Re: [RCSE] 8103 Rudd/Elev programming from Sherman Knight

> This is an interesting process, but why?
>
> To me, it doesn't seem to matter whether you operate the rudder from
the aileron channel or "redirect" the aileron stick output to the
rudder.  Either way seems as complicated or as simple.  Admittedly,
you may lose some of the programming features using the rudder from
the ail channel, but how much sophisticated mixing is needed for an
RES ship?  At most, I'd see where  you might mix a bit of up-elevator
with the spoilers.

> So what am I missing?  With an RES plane, when you think "rudder",
you are really thinking "aileron", from a  functional standpoint,  but
that is not too confusing an issue to complicate the programming.

> The one situation where the "redirect the aileron stick output to
the rudder channel" method may be needed is the case where you have a
polyhedral ship with a V-tail.  You would have to redirect the aileron
stick output to the ruddervator, as I don't think the V-tail mix works
any other way except mixing elevator&rudder.   I have a Chrysalis HLG
in this configuration coming up.

> Interesting discussion...
>
> --Bill
>

> On Tue, 13 Jun 2000 14:15:27 EDT [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> There were several questions posted to the exchange concerning two
channel
> programming for the 8103.  All the postings plugged the rudder into
the aiel
> slot on the receiver so flight could be performed from the right
stick.  We
> all used this method with older non mixable radios.  To use this
method on a
> programmable radio actually complicates the learning curve of the
programmer
> and eliminates other dedicated mixes and available programming in
the radio.

> I try to set up the programming on all my airplanes so that the
programming
> is as similar as possible from plane to plane.  I'm not talking
about values
> of a mix but using the best mix for the function.  As an example, If
I start
> using the programming method discussed above to put elevator and
rudder on
> the right stick I'm going to have to find another method of
programming when
> I graduate to a plane with two aileron servos.  (ie no ail slot to
plug the
> rudder into, oops)  Learning two different programming languages is
always
> more difficult than one.  Heaven forbid trying to make changes from
one plane
> to another in the field without your template handy.
>
> To simplify your learning curve, use just one programming method for
> everything.  The instruction sheet I published is for the most
complicated
> plane possible.  Use that as your starting point.  Less complicated
planes
> are just a sub set of the more complicated instructions.  What's
this all
> mean?  Try the following:
>
> Plug elevator into elevator and rudder into rudder.  Now dual rates,
end
> points, and various mixes are properly named.  This eliminates a lot
of
> confusion right off the bat.
> Use the dedicated mix Ail to Rud.   This places the rudder on the
right
> stick.  The left stick is still the primary rudder input and remains
active.
> The rudder trim is still on the left.  This is the same condition
that you
> have on a six servo plane.  Once in the mix, hold the aileron stick
all the
> way to one side or the other.  Hit the + or - buttons until the
rudder moves
> in the right direction and the correct amount.  Select "ON" for
switch type.
> If the rudder doesn't move the same amount left and right use the t.
adj
> settings for rudder until they are the same.  Your done.
>
> Now other dedicated rudder functions are available such as extra
rudder in
> launch or landing mode.  Not only that, but this is the same method
you use
> when you graduate to an aileron ship.
>
> You may think the other method is simpler (ie rudder plugged into
Aileron)
> It may be at first but it creates problems down the road.  Now you
have to
> remember that dual rates for rudder is actually aileron.   Same with
end
> points.  Don't touch the differential settings, now your rudder
isn't even.
> It continues on and on.
>
> All ten model memory slots are full on both of my 8103's.  If I used
> different methods of programming for each model, I would never be
able to
> make quick programming changes in the field.  Learn one method, keep
it
> simple and programming becomes second nature.
>
> Sherman Knight
> RCSE-List facilities provided by Model Airplane News.  Send
"subscribe" and "unsubscribe" requests to [EMAIL PROTECTED]