Not that this is purely soaring-related, but it's better than snarling at
each other over RX/TX techno-bits! But sure, that's an easy one to answer.
It's basically been the advent of the computer, especially lately with the
increasing popularity of the Internet and email-based communication. Just
think about what computers provide for us:

Spell check: allows people to just "get in the ballpark" before a quick
right-click settles things right again. Why bother to learn to spell if
you'll always have a checker to do it for you? Some high-schools are even
allowing provicial-level exams in English and Social Studies to be written
on a processor.

Email: You only have to look at a list like this, informal as it might be,
to see that it is easy to get into the habit of being lazy when writing. A
lot of posts here have no semblance of grammar or structure (eg. ALL IN
CAPS), and a few don't even bother with punctuation (I find such posts
especially frustrating to read).

Forgive my sounding like a technophobe, but that's just the way I see it. I
think a lot of the problem comes with people not taking much time to read
anymore, as well.

Just my thoughts...

Cheers,
Adam