For one, 50ma packs are history, 4gr-110ma and soon 3.3gr-120ma NiMH cells
are available from TNR, and they're cheap! There are lots of useable sizes
available up to 720ma.

And be sure your ship will balance at that weight. For instance, a Monarch
D-Lite requires about a 40gr pack to balance with a 12gr rx and HS50's at
5.5gr each. I finally settled on 2 2/3AA-430ma Tadiran LiMg cells with 2
diodes in series to drop the voltage (25gr total).

A standard wall charger will do fine for these small batteries. Believe it
or not, their voltage actually adjusts. With a three cell NiMH pack, the
votage read was 4.8, just right for a 3-cell that will actually be 4.2-4v at
full charge.

If you use a digitally controlled charger that is not set up for 3 cells,
you cannot leave it on the charger after it has peaked, the chager will
continue to try and pump the pack to 5+ volts.

Its nice to have an Alpha charger, I almost bought one a couple years ago
when the price was $180 and the wait just 6 months. But I have made do very
nicely with the wall charger.

Rick