Mark,
When I did the analysis versus mass (and also versus
throw angle) I was aware that assuming a constant
throw speed wasn't realistic, however I didn't have
a better alternative. I like the approach you've
presented and have redone the analysis versus mass
and aspect for this throw model. The website has been
updated with the new results.
http://www.rcmodels.com/clubs/asfcnz/

You're right up to a point in saying that lighter models
will inherently launch higher using this model. The results
indicate that there is actually an optimal weight for a
given design, and if you go much lighter then launch height
suffers badly. However, with current construction techniques
I don't think you can build down to this weight and still
have a model strong enough to throw at full power (at least
for a 1.5m span RC HLG).

Also, the optimal weight for max launch height increases
with wind speed, so now we can justify ballast for HLG's
on the basis of launch as well as penetration when the
wind gets up.

Ciao - Chris

******
Chris Kaiser