From: David A. Enete [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

> Well, here's another look at it.  For the discus-style planes with
> pins in the outboard wing panels, use a short extension device with a
> release mechanism.  Maybe like hunting bow releases.  The increase in
> velocity with even a short extension on a discus-style launch would
> be incredible.  Check the speed, direction, and attitude, then let it
> fly.
>
> Low-tech / high-tech option is to use an extension with formed
> fingers from a pliable substance that will flex under a given amount
> of stress.  Then figure out how much speed is needed to impart the
> stress and release the plane.

I was thinking about this sort of thing when I started
to get comments on wing launching HLG's following my
launch analysis. How about building a model with a
hollow carbon tube spar that runs right to the wing
tip. Run a Kevlar string through the tube, attaching
one end to the wing root (probably best to anchor it
to a wing bolt that goes through or adjacent to the
tube, so there's a solid link to the fuse). The other
end of the kevlar string exits the tube at the wing
tip and is what the launcher holds onto - sort of
like a control liner. The technique would be a bit
like an olympic hammer thrower...
Some light elastic attached to the opposite wing tip
and the kevlar would pull the string back inside the
tube after release.

There would be some non-trivial issues to be solved
to make this work, not the least of which is the
safety of everyone else on the field...  :-)

Ciao - Chris

******
Chris Kaiser
Auckland, NEW ZEALAND