 There are a couple of ways to bring in a raster file to Autocad. The
first is to go to Insert, then Raster File and follow the path to the
raster file. when it comes in, you can trace over it with AutoCad. The
scaling may be off and will have to be adjusted.

The other way is to use an external RASTER to DXF conversion program. I
have used Wintopo and it has worked well. The dxf files it produces can
be opened up directly as vector files in Autocad.  Again some scaling is
required. The only drawback with this program is that it makes
individual line segments of each line where it crosses another line.
This builds up a large amount of data, especially if the drawing is
complex.  However it does work very well. The program is easy to use and
can be downloaded as freeware from
http://www.wburrows.demon.co.uk/softsoft/wintopo/index.htm

John O'Sullivan
Nova Scotia