I remember 18 years ago people saying you couldn't fly a F3B ship in AMA TD.
Impossible! Won't thermal! Never make a landing! etc. etc. etc.

Funny, today, nearly all of the planes being used in AMA TD would have cleaned
up in F3B back then.

While the F3B ship may not be the best possible choice for AMA TD, it will
certainly be in the hunt if the pilot is skilled.

What is the best plane?
The one that you love so much that you take her out and fly every chance you
get.
The one that you have flown hundreds of hours and done thousands of landings in.
The one that you have flown in every type of weather and that you still bring
out
and fly some more.

AMA TD is much more a test of the pilot than the plane. The tasks don't really
push
aircraft performance much at all. Generally you need to find *some* lift, and
then
land on a particular spot at a precise time.

F3J is somewhat more demanding on the plane as it has to launch fast and high to
win.

F3B is much more demanding on the plane as it is a racing event. Speed is all
about
going fast, fast, fast. Distance is going far, ... fast. Duration is there to
keep
the planes from becoming too bullet like. :-)) To win you must have a plane that
will go very fast and very far. The pilot must have the skills to fly the plane
to the limit but even flying to the limit will not save a poor plane in F3B.
At the same time, the best plane will not save a so-so pilot.

Is a F3B ship really at that much of a disadvantage in a TD contest?
I don't think so. The (possibly) slightly higher sink rate is offset by a higher
launch and ability to get to any thermal in visual range. So for duration it
is likely a wash, unless there is no thermal activity at all and that is very
rare.
Landing is the key difference and the slightly higher approach speed of the F3B
bird is offset by the smooth tracking and gust resistance, so it comes back to
the pilot.
The F3B bird will demand more from the pilot on landing mainly because there
will
be less time to think. Again, the pilot with a thousand landings on his plane is
very likely to beat the pilot with 50 landing on his plane no matter which
planes
they are.

Remember again, the big difference between F3B and TD versions of some planes
today
is only the amount of carbon fiber.

Just like my Navy days, "Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go in harms way."

Pick a plane you like and just fly the heck out of it!

michael N6CHV AMA 77292