[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> By no means am I an authority, but I did just read an interesting article in
> the December issue of Scientific American about Nanotubes. These are long
> macromolecules of pure carbon that are interesting both for their resilience
> and electrical properties. It also describes 3 ways to manufacture them.
> Check it out!

When we can get nanotubes, we will have the ultimate
reinforcing fiber.  Really good graphite fiber has a modulus
(stiffness) of about 400 Mega Pascals with an elastic strain
to failure (stretch) of about 1%.  Nanotubes are expected to
have a modulus of around 1.4 Tera Pascals and 15% elastic
strain to failure.  We'll be making incredibly tough, stiff
4 meter planes that weigh less than 30 oz.

Bill
--
Life is complex.  It has both real and imaginary parts.

Bill Johns
Pullman, WA