[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> In a message dated 12/25/2000 6:54:20 PM Central Standard Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> > When we can get nanotubes, we will have the ultimate
> >  reinforcing fiber.  Really good graphite fiber has a modulus
> >  (stiffness) of about 400 Mega Pascals with an elastic strain
> >  to failure (stretch) of about 1%.  Nanotubes are expected to
> >  have a modulus of around 1.4 Tera Pascals and 15% elastic
> >  strain to failure.  We'll be making incredibly tough, stiff
> >  4 meter planes that weigh less than 30 oz.

> Wow! The article also includes a chart on the feasibility of various uses for
> nanotubes. Apparently, imbedding nantubes into a matrix gets the lowest
> feasibility rating, listed as "science fiction" :-( And the cost is ...let's
> see....$1500 per gram...so 30 oz. of the stuff would cost $1,275,000.
> Perfect! Very high cost and a long wait! Put me down for 2 nanomoldies. :-)

What did the first transistors cost anyway??  I got a
bizillion of them in my watch.

In time nanotubes will cost like carbon fiber does now.
Capitalism is useful for some things, like providing us with
neat toys.

Live long, catch lift, prosper.

Bill
--
Life is complex.  It has both real and imaginary parts.

Bill Johns
Pullman, WA