At 06:11 AM 12/30/00 -0700, you wrote:
>I was looking at the process of cutting swept wing cores. It would be
>preferable to not have to put the core on the table at the swept angle. I
>would like to be able to calculate the airfoil coordinates required if the
>blank is cut with it laying parallel to the table edge.
>
>I have looked at calculating the different cord lengths which is easy but
>the actual airfoil points become quite complicated. Does any of the existing
>software handle this calculation?

I don't know of any programs that will do the complete calculation, however
my Airfoil Plot and Model Design programs will plot the required airfoil if
you calculate the required chord length and change in thickness.

        Core Chord length = Chord length X Cos Sweep angle
        new thickness = airfoil thickness / Cos sweep angle.

Calculating the thickness distribution is a little more complicated since
you must separate the airfoil into thickness distribution and camber line.
Then change the thickness distribution and combine it back with the camber
line.  The Utility option of my Airfoil Plot and Model Design programs will
perform this calculation as well as plot the airfoil and foam core
templates.  If you only need the coordinates of the transformed airfoil,
the demo version of my Model Design program will perform these calculations
(The demo version only plots airfoils and templates with chord lengths of
5.678 inches).  Demo versions of Model Design 7 and Model Design 8 can  be
downloaded from Dream Catcher Hobbies web site at
http://www.dchobby.com/airfoil/

Airfoil Plot 8 can pbe purchased for $40 including shipping while Model
Design 8 is $55.  Let me know if you would like more information.

This might make a worthwhile addition to my programs.  Any suggestions?

Chuck Anderson