The Panther is a flying wing design by Gene Foley (415-586-6104
[EMAIL PROTECTED]). His original design looks slightely different
with a canopy, and was designed to be a sloper. I liked the performance
so much I decided to make it into an electric. I started out using a
geared 480 (Cosmotech, with gearbox). I tried several prop sizes, from
10x8 up to 12x8, using the Trick RC 1700 mah packs (velcroed in the
nose). Decent performance - about 7-8 mins full throttle. I also tried
twin speed 400s, which conveniently can be taped to the area just inside
the elevons. Ran with Gunther props. Sounds like a Twinstar. Plenty of
thrust - actually very nice, except power off the props are too draggy
for my taste.

http://www.aricraft.com/panther.html

The above config is my current favorite - a Kontronic 400-22 brushless,
with a 10x8 folder. LOTS of power - not vertical, but rips around.
Weight 40 oz with bats.
About 6 mins full throttle.

Eats Zagis for lunch. Virtually indestructible thanks to Gene's super
beefy construction techniques. Heavy duty wood spar - balsa reinforced
tips, plywood reinforced elevons. Body is plywood sides with carbon for
the motor mount, EPP foam with mylar sides and strapping tape. I only
broke the fuse once in a full power on vertical dive - easily fixed with
epoxy and tape. Floats surprisingly well and MUCH higher speed range
than Zagis. No tip stall tendencies. You can spin it, but only by full
up or full down elevator and holding it there. And then it recovers
quickly. Roll this baby? Maybe it shud have been named the "blender"...
--
Tom Rust
Nanochip Inc