Dave writes:
> I have heard of the javelin style throw and base on knowing what
> that means
> for a real javelin, I am not clear how it is applied to a HLG.

Hlg terminology is very new language, and as such is in flux. From studying
the hlg terminology usage to date, I would conclude that  'javelin' or
'javelin-style' is now often used simply to differentiate from discus or
tiplaunch styles, and as such applies at least to some degree to any
overhand throw of an hlg, usually with pegs (most common) but also with a
hole or specially molded fuselage 'grip indentations'.

At least some of the time, though, 'javelin' or 'javelin style' is used to
specifically imply a more fully athletic overhand throw with full arm
extension, proper run up and foot placement, and body position, all adapted
from the very refined motions that a trained javelin thrower uses. In this
case it is meant to differentiate the style not only from discus or tip
launch, but from a more cocked elbow, baseball-type, 'whipped' overhand
throw (a style which doesn't generally work very well, by the way).

In any case, I have never seen 'javelin' used to connote a particularly
special or different grip on the aircraft, per se. Most javelin style
throwers still use a peg.

These are simpy my perceptions of how the words are being used on the
internet, on the phone, and at the field(s). Hope this helps some, though I
know I didn't answer all of your questions.

Lift,
Scobie in Seattle