Gee.. did I stir up a hornets nest!

I find that I cannot mix it with the big boys, but I still have a go. 22nd
out of 79 at our LSF Tournamnet is my best so far. However, I fly in
open class with a Pike Plus and soon a Tragi 700 in an attempt to be
on equal footings with the experts. If I win it is a bonus, but it is not
why
I compete. However, I recognise that my views on winning are not shared by
my fellow competitors, but it does annoy them when I beat them!

Open Class is what it says. Not many rules concerning model design except
for general FAI model limitations (remember that we are talking Australia
here). I, and every other competitor in Open Class recongise that at any
time a quantum leap of model design could make all our models obsolete.

In Australia (generalising statement coming) MOST flyers of the RES Class do
so
because they are sick of the technology race of Open Class that they
either cannot afford, or do not wish to be involved with.

When I fly RES Class, I fly a Stepp 3 that is similar to what most of the
flyers
want to fly. Sure, I could take my Tragi, lock the ailerons, put in a bit
more
dihedral, and blow them all to the weeds on launch height alone. But by
doing so
I would destroy the class locally leaving the supporters of RES Class
wondering
about forming another class to suit their style of flying.

We find that most flyers of RES Class are there to have fun and compete.
Winning
is a secondary concern.

Every sport has the same problem. There is always someone who thinks that
they
can gain an advantage by being an amater lawyer and exploiting a loophole in
set of rules to gain an advantage other than by improving their natural
talent.

We all know what is right and wrong. Lets do it!

I understand that RES Class in America is different in that it has evolved
into a
technology race. Perhapes the solution is a RES One Design Contest.

Paul Ferguson
Adelaide, Australia