If you want to talk about NOSTALGIA class then say so.
RES is NOT nostalgia, they are separate and distinct classes.

If you want to take airplane design and contruction out
of the contest then do a one design with the contest organizer
providing the planes.

A club could do this easily. Build 4 planes as close to exactly
te same as possible. Equip them with radios. Trim them to fly
nearly the same.
Fly man on man with pilots drawing for the plane they fly in each
round.

As long as you have a contest, people will push the rules. They MUST!
It is the nature and point of contesting.

Please don't confuse pushing the rules with cheating.
Cheating is when you break a rule with the idea that you likely won't
get caught.
Pushing the rules means that you can make a strong that what you are doing
is legal in the rules as written.

Please don't fall onto 'intent' or 'spirit' of the rules that are not
written down in those rules. That sounds like cheating on the part of
people who don't want to be bothered to read, understand and apply the
rules to best advantage.

Under AMA rules any deviation from the rules as published in the rule book
must be stated in any advertisment for the contest and restated in the
pilots meeting.

Changing the rules in mid contest, or worse, after the contest is a VERY
bad idea.

michael N6CHV AMA 77292