>  What about a sort of micro cross-country paradigm in which the overall
site
> conditions must be artfully used to  get one's glider to show up at a
series
> of checkpoints?

It's called Handlaunch Golf! and they are playing today at the SWC....

Scobie is right about new formats in my opinion.
I haven't flown HLG contests, so maybe this doesn't mean much, but in my
opinion, if you can get 2 min. dead air times, you might as well have a TD
contest without winches. There are all kinds of things that could be thrown
in  to the picture, a small slalom on the landing approach, limbo bars, F3b
events like the most laps/the fastest laps, etc.
And then of coarse, one can't forget "All up last down"
Seems like fun to me.

         Mark Mech
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
    www.aerofoam.com