Actually, the Composite Store (cst.com) recommends that the CF pushrod tip be crushed
(for glue penetration) and thin CA'd into the clevis or rod end.  And with the "rough"
threaded area of the clevis, that glue joint would be that last thing to fail (IMHO).

--Bill

On Sat, 10 Feb 2001 07:05:20 -0800 Bill Johns <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

"David A. Enete" wrote:

> >As an adhesive technologist I have absolutely no problem bonding CF
> >pushrods with CA.
>
> I have a friend who works for Atlanta Gas Light in their Safety
> program.  Any time that he sees something questionable (ie. a floor
> mat at the local fast food place is folded over on itself) he will
> say, "As a safety professional I would have to say that this is not a
> safe way to operate..."  I just thought your "adhesive technologist"
> statement sounded a lot like that.

Sorry, I did not mean to sound pompous or to lecture.  I was
speaking from a stress-distribution,
mode-of-load-application perspective.

> I'm wondering what would have to happen in a fuselage in order to
> remove the CA-fused carbon fiber pushrod from the link.  Probably a
> pretty hefty crash.

What would have to happen to a fuse in an "unplanned"
manner?  I suspect a bending mode with eventually snap the
CF off at the linkage.  Beyond that, I'm sure you could pull
the CF out of the fitting, but the load required would be
exceptionally high.  I say that because given the right
testing machine I can break any bonded joint.  The inherent
strength of the CF rod and the excellent joint design of
fitting a round section into a round hole with a reasonably
tight fit, would lend to excellent joint strength.
Adhesives work best in shear.  On top of that, use a very
good adhesive, CA, and you have a very good system.

If anyone is actually bothered by gluing a CF rod to a
clevis, hey, no problem.  Use a different method of making
the push rod.  That's what living in a free country is all
about.

ttfn,

Bill
--
Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand.

Bill Johns
Pullman, WA
..