The late F1 models did not go 200 mph.   Current Q40 models can do 170 mph on a straight line flight.  They do not race in a straight line though.  The fastest (and well piloted) cover 2.5 miles in about one minute.  You can do the math.  Regis

Regis -----Original Message-----
From: Brett Jaffee [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, March 06, 2001 2:38 PM
To: Raymond Wong
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [RCSE] 170mph?

The small Formula 1 pylon racers are pretty insane.  I believe speeds of 200mph are pretty typical, so I wouldn't have a hard time believing 220 in straight and level flight.  Just try and tell him to do it without an engine, though!

I believe the glider speed record is something over 250mph.  It was the absolute r/c airplane speed record for  for a while too, but I think a turbine powered plane broke it a year or two ago.

Raymond Wong wrote:

I was explaining to a RC pilot(power models) about DS'ing today, I told him how Paul Naton push his glider to over 170mph...well, he thought it was no big deal.  He said his friend's power model recorded 220mph in the last pylon race...  Should I believe him?  How fast can a power model really go? Raymond WongHong Kong