I'm using a 1/8 carbon rod about 3/4 inch on each side. I can't tell if
there is any difference. Not scientific but....

One thing that has helped me was to put the peg far enough down the wing so
that only the first joint of my fingers would barley reach it. My first wing
the peg was at my second joint and I would have trouble releasing the plane
at the right time because my fingers were curled around the peg to get a
hard throw.

Charles