From: Charles French [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

> I'm using a 1/8 carbon rod about 3/4 inch on each side. I can't tell if
> there is any difference. Not scientific but....

Either you've got armoured fingertips, or you're not throwing
particularly hard :-)  I went from holding the tip to a 1/8"
carbon rod - definately helped the throw but I could only do
a couple of hard throws before it became really painful. Changed
to a 1/4" carbon tube peg and can now throw even harder without
the fingertip pain.

> One thing that has helped me was to put the peg far enough down
> the wing so
> that only the first joint of my fingers would barley reach it. My
> first wing
> the peg was at my second joint and I would have trouble releasing
> the plane
> at the right time because my fingers were curled around the peg to get a
> hard throw.

Try a larger peg, eg 1/4" carbon tube (tailboom offcut?). As well
as spreading the loading on the fingertips better (less pain :-),
I found it also made the release easier and more controllable.

The drag appears to be negligible compared to the gain in
launch speed. I certainly can't tell any difference in flight.

Ciao - Chris

******
Chris Kaiser
Auckland,  NEW ZEALAND