One thing to be wary of when hand-launching using expensive
radios is that you don't let go with the wrong hand... :-)
Yeah, I know - I thought the same. Been hand-launching for
years, have now done a lot of discus throwing, never once
come close to throwing the radio.

Until a couple of weeks ago when I launched my 8UAP while
demonstrating the discus thow technique :-( I'd just put
on sunblock and my hands were a bit slippery - wasn't a
problem until I really went for it on a throw...
Luckily I managed to get to the radio while my model was
still resonably high, amazingly it was still working fine
and I landed the model no problem, even more amazingly
not a single one of the switches was broken or damaged!
Futaba owners will know how incredible this is!
In fact the only damage was that the battery had broken
out one end of it's internal box, and since all the bits
of plastic were still inside I was able to glue them back
together :-)

BTW, I'd just bought a Futaba 9Z as my primary radio,
but had already decided NOT to use it for hand launch.
You can be sure I haven't changed my mind :-)

Ciao - Chris

******
Chris Kaiser
Auckland,  NEW ZEALAND