I do not believe that thermaling birds, including the Redtail Hawk has
a preference of direction to cicle in a thermal. One reason that I think
this is the fact that I have observed what is referred to as 'kettles',
large groups of 50 or more hawks in a thermal, usually during the fall
migration.
 If what you say was true, most if not all, these birds would be cicling
in the same direction. They do not. Many birds, in the same thermal,
will be circling in both directions.

 I do know an 'expert' birder named Scott Weidensal??(spelling) who has
written many books about hawks and migrating birds, and I will
definately try to run this past him.
 Also I will be making a greater effort in the future, when watching
vultures and hawks thermal, to pay very close attention to which
direction they are thermaling.