"Douglas, Brent" wrote:

> ok, i tried a rollfuz last nite - 2 things stick out.....
>
> i was really guessing at how much glass to use... i went with a layer of 1.5
> kevlar, a couple wide strips of uni carbon, and a layer of .7 glass....
>
> it seems relatively strong, but for a handlaunch (maybe discuss) body (about
> 2" circumference at the wing, 3ish feet long) - but, i am open to
> suggestions.
>
> also - BAD idea to bag it.... i turned on the pump and watched it crumple:
> oh yeah, its HOLLOW.  doh.  was able to 'inflate' it, manually.  dont ask.
>
> any direction from someone out there that has tried this?
>
> thanks,
> brent

Brent:

The idea behind the Rollfuz method was to prepare a sandwich of glass or
other material, between layers of acetate, which could be rolled out to
eliminate excess resin or air bubbles prior to rolling a boom.  Because
of this no vacuuming is required and the resulting boom takes on the
finish of the acetate.
As for typical lay-ups the following is what I use:

HLG   Nosecone and boom  - 1 layer 1.5 oz and 1 layer 4.4 oz. This is
reinforced with 5 or 6
longitudinal strips of kevlar tow.
weight of boom and cone 37 gm.

1.5 M slope and 2M thermal -  1 layer 1.5 oz, 1 layer 6.0 oz
unidirectional cloth and 1 layer
4.4 oz. cloth with kevlar tows.

100" thermal  - 1 layer 1.5 oz , 1 layer 6.0 oz unidirectional, 2 layers
4.4 oz cloth with
kevlar tows.

3 M Thermal or FAI   1 layer 1.5 oz, 2 layers 6 oz.unidirectional, 2
layers 4.4 oz.

These are guidelines and I vary the lay-ups a little, depending on the
anticipated stresses anticipated on the model.

--
John O'Sullivan
Nova Scotia

Wind and Wave Models