(Another story for your enjoyment - if you don't
enjoy, just hit delete!)

Lessons in Perspective.

Those of you who live in the U.S.A. may recall that
automobile passenger-side mirrors contain this
message, "Objects in the mirror are closer than they
appear." On my last flight with the highlander I
learned a similar lesson, "Gliders are closer to the
tree than they appear."

I was flying on a Saturday morning and the wind was
out of the east at the normal slightly brisk pace.
This direction was new for me in that all my previous
experience was with south winds so I was aligned in
the short direction of the field. I was practicing
what I have been working on all spring long - launch,
turn left, turn downwind leg, turn base leg, turn
upwind and try to land somewhere near where I was
standing.

You know how for some people it's hard to pat your
head and rub your tummy at the same time? Well, for me
it's still hard to walk and fly at the same time, so I
always flew standing where I had launched the plane
from the highstart. Fortunately, the more I practiced,
the more I landed within a few paces of myself instead
of across the field.

On each of the last few flights I had flown base leg
turn in front of a large oak on the west side of the
field. On the last flight I was having a really cool
flight. Great crisp (for the highlander and this
pilot) turn onto the downwind leg and a good glidepath
downwind. I thought to myself, "man that blue plane is
sure going to look pretty banking in front of that
oak." But, in less time than it took to panic, much
less react, I banked that plane right into the top of
the oak! I walked over to the tree and stood, in
shock, hands-on-hips, and jaws agape, staring up into
that tree trying to figure out how I was going to get
my plane down.

I gave thought to climbing the tree because it had
lots of thick sturdy limbs. But I decided it wouldn't
be wise at my age (or with over 20 years of my wife's
good German cooking in me.) Then I decided that I was
going to have to go buy one of those long extendable
golf ball nabbers to get the plane down. As I was
packing up though a fellow who was flying electric
gliders on the other side of the field drove up and
noted my lofty plane and mentioned that the glow field
across the creek from the glider field had two really
long pvc pipes with a rope just for rescuing planes. I
went over to glow field and borrowed the poles and
pushed my plane out of the tree. The neat thing about
the highlander was that I could have continued flying
it as there was no damage. I only stopped flying
because the landowner started haying the glider field
while I was rescuing my glider.

In retrospect I recall that on the last flight I had
stretched the highstart an additional 15 paces to get
a higher launch and thus I was 15 paces closer to the
tree than previous flights. Combined with a higher
altitude and my landing practice flight pattern I had
set myself up to fly right into the tree. The
highlander now sits on a hook on a wall. It has been
retired (raided for its receiver) and I doubt I will
come back to it. It looks rather ragged and forlorn
because it has about a dozen tape repairs and
reinforcements. It would be easy enough to ressurect
it, but I believe in moving on and the highlander
served its purpose. It encountered the ground in some
mighty spectacular ways, and it visited some trees, so
that I could learn how to fly, how to land, and how to
be wary of perspective.

John Gossett
Austin, TX.