"Andrew E. Mileski" wrote:

> Here's a nice step-by-step guide:
>   http://brmrg.med.virginia.edu/knots/barrell.html

Well, the barrel knot passes all my tests :)

I placed steel rings 12" apart on a piece of mono, using a round turn
and a barrel type of a knot (1/2).  Cinched down it stays put.

I cut the line midway and spliced it with a barrel knot.  Again,
once it is cinched tight it stays put.

I slipped a forged piece of metal through each ring, one to hold
between my feet and the other in my hands, and pulled until I
could pull no more.  The line permanently stretched about an inch,
but could be repeatedly stretched about 1.5 inches in addition to
that amount (possibly more but my back gave a twinge so I stopped).

I thought I saw the knot at the splice slip considerably, but it
in fact did not; the tag lines are about the same length.  Instead
the barrel knot cinched tighter, and stayed that way.  There is a
whole lotta tension now stored in that knot!

Applying repeated shock loads to the line easily caused it to deform
greatly, but the line did not fail, nor did the barrel knots.

Thanks again for the knot suggestion :)

--
Andrew E. Mileski
Ottawa, Canada