I recently have soldered up three 4.8 volt flight packs using 150 NiMh cells.

Charged them using my Sirius chargers, and have run capacity tests using the
Sirius SuperTest battery capacity tester.

On two of the packs I’m getting around 130-140 mAh. I figure that’s pretty
good, I only get around 42-46 mAh out of 50 mAh Nicads so that would seem in
the ballpark.

The problem is one of the 150 mAh NiMh packs only tests out to around 80-85
mAh.  I’ve run it thru many charge/discharge cycles and it’s consistently low.

So, I’m wondering if anyone who is using 150 mAh NiMh cells has found some to
be abnormally low?

Now, this might be self-inflicted. I may have gotten one of the cells too hot
when soldering up the pack. But so far I’ve not been able to identify one
cell that is worse than the others.

If I have to simply avoid using the pack that’s testing low, that won’t be
too bad. But this has shaken some of the confidence I had about using NiMh’s
of this size. It would be really bad if one of the “good” packs suddenly
produced 80 mAh or less when I was flying.

At any rate I consider the SuperTest I got a few months ago to have already
paid for itself.  I know I would have eventually crashed with this pack
that’s only giving about 80 mAh.

- George Gassaway