We're talking 3AH cells being charged at 0.45A - that's a rate
of only 0.15C. I doubt a standard 'dv/dt' type peak detection
would work at that low a rate because 'dt' becomes large which
makes the dv/dt very small. I'm not sure what algorithms the
modern digital chargers use, but I wouldn't trust any form of
peak detection at that low a charge rate. The good side is that
the batteries shouldn't be damaged by overcharging at that rate.

If the charger automatically limited itself to 0.45A then I
suspect the cells aren't too healthy (very high internal
resistance). If you limited the current manually then either
manually stop the charge at Red's suggested 140% capacity, or
try a higher charge rate where the peak detection has a better
chance of working - but keep an eye on it as overcharge at higher
rates can damage batteries.

Ciao - Chris

******
Chris Kaiser  (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])
Auckland,  NEW ZEALAND
http://rcmodels.co.nz/clubs/asfcnz