Evidence is pointing to catastrophic failure of composite (CF) components in
the fin.

Photos of the 587 stab are at:

http://www.ntsb.gov/Events/2001/AA587/tailcomp.htm

Good, non-talking_head coverage of the mishap is at:

http://aviationnow.com/

And cutaway drawings of the affected parts are at:

http://home.earthlink.net/~pjburke1/IMAGES/a300vertical.jpg

--Bill