I agree with Michael Neverdosky.  "You need to work your way up in
complexity."  I am an example of what he preaches.  I have only been flying for
a year now.

  I started with a "gas-bag" Paragon.  I had thirty or so flights and thermaled
it a few times before blowing it up learning how to zooooom launch.  My next
plane was (is) a Mantis.  The Mantis is well behaved but I had to work my way
through the features.  No real problems learning how to use the aileron-rudder
mix, but using the flaps with a Hitec Flash 5X was harrowing.  I probably have a
couple hundred flights and a few contests on the Mantis now...

  I now have a dozen or so flights on a used (molded) Eclipse V.  Yes, the 85
oz. plane with the 7037 airfoil is a hand-full (it's very FAST), but I was ready
for it.

  I have learned the difference.  I've seen the Mantis (with it's MH-32 airfoil)
hang in the air with virtually no penetration on windy days (a little ballast
usually fixes that).  So, I'll fly the Mantis on calm days, and fly the Eclipse
on windy days.

  It may be a myth... but it works for me... ;-)

   Dave Termohlen