wptasinski wrote:

> I purchased my first R/C glider, a Zagi 3C, a few days ago and have a
> couple of questions that are not described in detail in the
> manual.
>
> 1.  The manual states that standard or micro servos can be
> used.  My question is (since I have not yet purchased a
> radio), which are better?  Initially I though the micros
> would be more appropriate (since they are lighter and I
> would prefer a lighter plane), however if I end up having
> to add lead to the nose because it's too light up front I
> might as well use the cheaper standard servos.  In other
> words, will the plane ultimately be lighter with micros,
> and if so, by how much?

Standard servos will add around 2oz of weight.  Not a huge amount, and you probably
won't notice the difference in most flights.  In very light wind conditions, it may
make a difference, but overall its not a significant one. If you do use micro servos,
you must mount them further forward to balance correctly if you want to see any
benefit.  Otherwise, as you say, you would just have to add weight in the nose and
lose the benefit of the lighter servos.  If you do go with micros, I advise to use
metal gears.  The plastic gear micros can strip very easily.

> 2.  The manual states that I should cover the entire wing
> with 3M 77 glue before applying the colored tape.  What
> benefit does this provide as the tape already has an
> adhesive?

Nothting by itself sticks to bare foam very well, even tape.  The 3M helps alot!  Even
if the tape by itself seems to be working fine, on the first warm day you'll find that
it will start unsticking and your covering will look like a wrinkled mess.

> 4.  Does the Futaba 6XA radio have elevon mixing?  I was looking at
> the Hitec Flash5 but I hear the the Futaba's are better.

I think it can, but my preference would be for the 5X anyway.  It's less expensive
then the 6X and will do pretty much everything you want it to do for a moderately
complex glider (i.e., gliders with flaperons and v-tails).  Even the 6X cannot
properly be used to control a complex 6 servo full house glider with all the bells and
whistles (you generally need a more expensive 7-9 channel radio for that), so I don't
see any big advantage in getting it over the 5X.