Mike,
We have been setting them up using the right slider, I've done it on my 10x
but I know Steve "sneidley" Scneider has done it as well on the Stylus.

I have a telario, but I assume the picalario works the same way.  You just
need to hang it on a channel, and be able to send almost 100% servo travel
signal in each direction to set the modes within the unit. So by using a
slider, all the way up for instance is all functions reporting, pushing it
to the middle is just vario tones, no voice, or all the way down turns it
off.  By sliding from 100% up to the middle and back, you can poll it with
out waiting for the interval report of altitude or voltage.

As far as doing it on the Stylus, sneidley reads the list here but is fast
becoming a MPX 4000 dude so I hope he still remembers.  8-)

Jim