Blaine writes:
>You can see from this that you want to locate the inboard edge of the
>spoilers someplace between the centerline and the stabilzer tips
>in order to balance the two effects described above.

I think you're unduly worried about the spoiler's effect on trim.
The spoiler->elevator mixing works quite well, and it's adjustable!
The mechanical simplicity of having one center spoiler wins here.

>A second factor in this is the pitch stability of the airplane.

I don't think that's the case.  I fly my Allegro-Lite close to
neutral stability -- 10% margin at low speed, less than 5% margin
at high speed.  When the spoiler is deployed the glider becomes
more stable in pitch, not less -- it solidly "locks on" to
a particular pitch trim, and the elevator's influence on pitch trim
is diminished.  These are sure signs of an increased stability margin.
This increased stability also makes the spoiler->elevator
mixing gain not so critical.

I'm not totally sure why the spoiler increases pitch stability.
One possibility is that the spoiler decreases the wing's dCl/dalpha
because of the massive separation.

- Mark