I once had a buddy of mine launch my 42 inch sloper from a Piper Pawnee tow
plane at a gliderport.  He was about 1000 feet up when he tossed it so as
you could guess, it flew for a while before I spotted it.  In fact, I didn't
think that he launched it at all, but luckily I heard it whistling, which
helped me spot it, gain control, do a few aerobatics, then land it at my
feet.

Doug Turner