Tim,
Actually, the rule on how the winches are tested has changed and just become
effective. Typing as I read the document[not quite a quote]:

c)The complete winch equipment[batteries, cables, switch and motor] must have a
total resistance of 23.0 milliohms.
The allowed resistance may be obtained by adding a fixed resistor or resistors
between motor and battery.....

e)Measuring: The battery must stay unloaded for at least two minutes after the
previous test or launch. The measuring of the circuit resistance consists of
recording the battery voltage Ub immediatly before closing the winch switch and
recording the the current[I300] and the voltage[U300] 300milliseconds[+/-
30msec] after the winch current begins to flow. Before the end of this 300ms
interval the motor shall stop rotating.

f) For the test a digital voltage measuring instrument(accuracy </-1%) is used,
which enables to measure the voltage of the battery and the output voltage from
the I/U transducer 300ms after the current of the winch is applied. The
transducer for measuring of the current may bea clamp transducer(range 0-600 or
0-1000A, accuracy </- 2%) or a calibrated resistor(0.1 milliohm, accuracy
</-0.5%) in the negative path of the circuit.

g) The resistance is calculated with the formula   Retot= 1000 x Uo/I300

The winch tester used by the competitors and Finals organizers over the past 10
years probably fills the bill. The other devices mentioned are not that
difficult to find.

=====
Dennis Phelan
For JR 388/8103 setup and F3b scoring downloads:
page updated 7/24/01
http://www.geocities.com/dephela/index.html

In a crisis, you don't rise to occasion.
You sink to the level of your training.