Dick:
I may be misled, but I know the full scale pilots I hang with agree with Thornburg.
The thermals(bubble/column of warmer/wetter air
from the generator - dark wet field) break loose and go up in altitude to the due
point, (higher alltitude lower pressure and lower
temp) at which point a cloud appears.  The clouds form a "cloud STREET!" A straight
line of alternating "cloud, clear air, cloud,"
etc - thus it looks like a STREET of clouds. Assuming a constant wind vector.
The alternating clear air and cloud is cause by the loss of energy from the generator
as it heats up the present column of air -
after a while the generator has stored enough energy to once again heat a sizable
column of air. I was told like drops from a spigot
"only falling up."
jim ealy