Erik Lotoszynski wrote:

> Will a compressor from an air conditoner draw enough
> vacuum for bagging?

Possibly.  People have used old refrigerator compressors
  http://members.ozemail.com.au/~flyingwing/vacbag/
I think modern refridgerants require higher vacuum than
Freon did, so it might work really well.

> It wouldn't have to be continuous duty if a vacuum
> switch is used with a narrow deadband.

More imporant is the sealing of the bag, and of the
pump (I've got a checkvalve on my pump as it leaks)
If there are no leaks, deadband doesn't matter.

If you have leaks, narrrow deadband is preferable, but
can mean more cycling of the pump, which causes reduced
motor life.  If the run time is too high, you have
leaks.  If you can't seal the leaks, adding a resevoir
helps to decrease the run time.

> Also, what is the purpose of the reservoir?

As Einstein said, "Everything's relative".  Even when
it comes to vacuum and leaks! :)

A small leak takes longer to drop the vaccum on a
larger volume.  A vacuum resevoir increases the volume
of the bagging system, so the vacuum pump runs a whole
lot initially, but less once the target level of
vacuum is reached.

Aim for 15 seconds of pump run time every 10 minutes or
more if your workshop is within earshot.

--
Andrew E. Mileski
Ottawa, Canada